Baby Foley-Murphy

Monday, March 19, 2007

Homelessness Averted

I haven't been able to write anything for the last week because I've been so angry. Last Sunday, our landlord informed us over our answering machine that he would not be allowing us to remain after our lease expires in July. Hmmm, and when is the baby due? July!!!!

We had already considered moving months ago and ruled it out as not the best decision with the baby on the way and all of the stress and financial strain that comes with a move--particularly in NYC. But apparently a move is in the cards.

In the past week Murph and I have looked at 16 apartments ranging in size from 1 to 3 "bedrooms" (in NYC real estate any room that is not a kitchen or bathroom can count as a bedroom) sometimes traveling an hour in crappy weather only to have the landlord tell us the tenant was staying afterall. Let's just say it was our most grueling adventure in NYC real estate yet, but we've been very lucky so far. And of course the whole time I was seething about having to do this at all right now.

But it all worked out last night (I hope) when we found a place that we like and that will meet most of our needs just fine. We're just waiting on approval from the landlord and then we'll be all set to move on April 1st.

I can't stress enough how bad idea it is to kick a nesting woman out of her nest. I can't think of anything that has both made me so angry and created so much stress at the same time. Luckily, I have Murph as a partner to balance me out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home